Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.




Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful


{TL: By Creed}








"Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!"

Insults were flying, and the target was me.

"I-I'm... sorry..."

My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body.

In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop.

It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down.

"Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action.

"Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so worn out, and you're still pushing him like this."

"What's wrong, Mira? Are you against it?"

"Nope, I'm all for it! He's so utterly useless with no real power; he has to be of some use like this. Let's see how long he can hold on, kyahaha!"

Mira, the mage, laughed happily. She could use not only offensive magic but also healing magic, supporting the party members with her abilities.

"Can you please hurry up, you incompetent? As Mira said, your slowness affects our progress. If that happens, it might tarnish the party's reputation. Really... you truly are incompetent."

Rather than addressing me by name, the man who called me incompetent was Lector, the hunter. He excelled in support and played a crucial role, including disarming traps in the dungeon and detecting enemies.

All three of them were excellent adventurers, all A-rank. They were the key members of 'Flarebird,' indispensable to the party.

On the other hand, there was me—a presence that didn't matter, whether I was there or not. I had managed to join the party somehow, but my job mainly consisted of carrying luggage, arranging accommodations, and doing miscellaneous tasks like cooking. I had never done any other work.

To say I had no complaints would be a lie. But I didn't voice my discontent. Speaking up wouldn't lead to any improvements, and there was nothing I could do about it.

So, I endured, endured, and endured... bearing it silently.

"Alright... everyone, get ready. Enemies ahead."

Lector seemed to have detected enemies, and he readied his bow. Sigurd and Mira followed suit.

With heavy thudding footsteps, a Minotaur appeared, and several Lizardmen were visible too.

"Ugh, it's not just the Minotaur, but Lizardmen too. This is a pain."

"Hehe, I might have come up with something good."

"What is it?"

"Let's use that incompetent guy as bait."

"Huh!?" 

Even in the face of this reckless proposal, I couldn't help but grimace.

However, the other two seemed enthusiastic.

"Wow, it actually sounds interesting."

"I see... not a bad idea at all. While we take on the Minotaur, Fate can lead the Lizardmen away. Even someone as incompetent as him should be able to manage that much."

"W-Wait a moment! I'm currently carrying a heavy load, and I don't have much stamina left..."

"If you give it your all, you'll manage somehow."

I desperately tried to convey that it was impossible, but their response was too casual.

"But..."

"Just do it. Or do you want me to cut you down right here?"

I was threatened with a sword at my throat. I couldn't resist.

With determination, I charged towards the group of Lizardmen.

――――――――――

After finishing the dungeon conquest, it was nighttime. Finally, I could return to the inn. The room I was given was no better than a stable, but I was grateful just to lie down.

I managed to satisfy my hunger with stale bread and dirty water, and then I lay down on the dirty bed.

"...I'm tired again today..."

Not only doing menial tasks but also being forced to act as bait. For the first time in a long while, I thought I might actually die.

But somehow, I managed to survive. Though I had my fair share of scrapes and bruises, I was somehow still in one piece.

"But... how long can this go on?"

I'm a member of 'Flarebird,' but I didn't join by choice.

Five years ago, as an aspiring adventurer, I applied for an interview to become a new member of 'Flarebird,' which was a C-rank party at the time, in order to become stronger.

I passed the interview, but...

It was all a trap set up by Sigurd and the others.

With Sigurd's strength, Mira's magic, and Lector's cunning, I was forcibly bound by a slave contract.

I tried to appeal to the knights and others, but such actions were prohibited by Sigurd and the others, so I couldn't carry them out.

A slave cannot act without the permission of their master.

I tried various other methods to free myself, but they all ended in failure...

And each time, I received violence disguised as discipline.

Gradually, I lost the will to resist and simply obeyed their orders...

And here I am now.

"Why am I... even alive?"

I think about it, but I can't find an answer. My heart is empty, and it's just endlessly painful.

"...Maybe it would be easier if I just died..."

I think such things, but...

"No! Absolutely not!"

I immediately discard that weak thought and resolve to survive no matter what.

I don't have much strength.

I was deceived into becoming a slave.

But even someone like me has a dream.

"Sofia... Someday, I'll be with you again..."

TL Note: hello Creed here, We are a new TL group so we hope the readers can be patience with our mistakes and currently forming schedule, next chapter will come as soon as i tl it so it's just a wait for few days, i hope you enjoyed the chapter, lets join fate as his story unfolds.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious