Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 81: Just a magic trick


{TL: By Creed}


"Well now..."

Hearing Sofia's words, the bodyguard curled the corner of his lips.

A crooked smile.

In that expression, you could see his confidence that he held an absolute advantage.

An invisible slash.

Sofia hadn't sustained any fatal injuries yet, but it was only a matter of time.

It was impossible to continue dodging these attacks, and even more impossible to read them.

Eventually, she would fall to the invisible slashes.

Believing this, the bodyguard moved to attack again.

"Your turn will never come. I'll always be the one in control."

He said confidently and swung his sword at an angle.

The speed and sharpness weren't particularly impressive.

Sofia turned her body slightly to avoid the slash.

Right after that, an alarm went off in her head.

There was something strange in the flow of the air.

Something was approaching from both sides.

She quickly glanced around, but, as expected, she couldn't see anything.

This, too, must be the invisible slashes of the bodyguard.

However...

"It's nothing to worry about."

Having figured out the trick, there was no longer any problem.

She twisted her body and dodged the invisible slash from the right.

Then she stepped back to avoid the invisible slash from the left.

"What? How did you avoid that!?"

Seeing his supposedly lethal attack completely dodged, the bodyguard was visibly shaken.

Sofia laughed, as if finding his reaction quite amusing.

"The true nature of the invisible slashes is ultra-fine wires that are hard to see unless you look closely, right?"

"Ugh..."

"You're not a swordsman; you're a wire manipulator. All the sword attacks were just a feint, while manipulating the wires was the real trick. It was quite a clever setup, but once the secret is out, it's nothing special. In the end, it's just a magic trick."

"Don't be ridiculous! Even if the trick is revealed, my wires aren't something that can be avoided easily! Do you know how many years and how much effort it took to master this technique...!?"

"That's unfortunate. However... I am, after all, a Sword Saint. I'm not fragile enough to be beaten by mere tricks like these."

"Damn it... arghhhhhh!!!"

The situation had reversed without him even realizing it, and he was now cornered.

The bodyguard screamed like a beast, unwilling to accept this fact.

And then, he made a desperate charge.

Skillfully manipulating the wires, he launched a full-on attack.

The wires came from every direction—front, back, left, right, and even from above. A multi-directional attack that was supposed to be unavoidable.

It was his ultimate technique, the one that had brought down countless enemies.

However...

"I've already seen through that trick."

"What!?"

A multi-directional attack that was supposed to be unavoidable.

There shouldn't have been even a sliver of space to escape.

And yet...

It was as if she'd used magic—the way Sofia avoided all the attacks without even a scratch.

The bodyguard's eyes widened in disbelief, but this was no illusion; it was reality. Sofia, who'd so easily overcome the obstacle, closed in on the bodyguard and struck him hard with the flat of her sword.

A sickening crunch as several bones shattered. The pain was unbearable, and the bodyguard lost consciousness.

"No way..."

The hired bodyguard, who'd been paid a handsome sum, was considered the strongest in the region as far as anyone knew.

Yet, he'd been taken down in an instant, leaving Falz in shock.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. The plan was to eliminate the interference and gain favor with the Doctor. From there, climb to the top and eventually control everything in the Adventurers' Guild.

That was the ambition he'd envisioned, but now it was all falling apart, crumbling like a house of cards.

"Well then."

Sofia, with her sword still drawn, turned to face Falz.

"Eek!"

Falz trembled in fear. It was like facing a bird of prey. No, that wasn't right. It was like a dragon was glaring at him, giving him a feeling of overwhelming despair.

Sofia smiled sweetly, but her eyes were completely devoid of any warmth.

"Relax, I'm not going to kill you. However, I can't forgive you for trying to harm Fate, and especially for what you did to Aisha. I'm interested in getting to know her better. Therefore... I have a lot of questions for you, and I need your testimony. I'm not going to kill you, but be prepared to give up everything else."

...It is said that after that, Falz's screams echoed throughout the mansion.

TL Note: So much for sword aura just to be a trick of wire manipulation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious