Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 40: Sofia got angry


{TL: By Creed}


"Fate!"

Sofia rushes towards me with an intense expression as soon as I am freed.

Wait, is she angry?

"Show me your hands, quickly!"

"Huh? Oh, sure." 

I turn my hands, showing my palms.

Due to holding the scythe, they are cut open quite deeply, bleeding profusely without the wounds closing.

"Oh no, such a serious injury...!"

"Huh? It's not that bad, right?"

"It's a significant injury!"

Is it... really?

Although Sofia is frantic, I, in truth, don't quite understand.

During my time as a slave, injuries like these were common...

So, I don't recognize this as a major injury. Is it just a bit painful?

As I ponder this...

"You idiot!"

Sofia, with teary eyes, genuinely scolds me.

"Are you stupid, Fate?! Seriously... you fool, fool, fool!!!"

"Uh, um...?"

"You've worried me so much..."

"Sofia..."

I feel deeply sorry for making her sad.

However, even at such a moment, I can't help but feel happy.

Someone cares enough to shed tears for me.

That, in itself, is a profound source of happiness.

Sofia's kindness warms my heart and heals not only my wounds but also my soul.

Back when I was alone, I could never have experienced something like this.

Yet, I can't help but feel apologetic for causing her so much worry to the point of making her cry.

"Sorry, Sofia. I'll try not to do anything reckless."

"Not just try, promise me you won't."

"Sorry, I might not be able to promise that. If you were in danger, I might do something reckless to save you."

"Is Fate... overprotective, perhaps?"

"Would you say that, Sofia?"

"Hehe."

Sofia laughs softly.

Good.

Her smiling face is what I prefer.

It's not just because she's cute or beautiful, although those are reasons too. Watching her, I can't help but feel at ease. There's a mysterious power in Sofia's smile that can bring comfort to others.

"Have you all forgotten about me?"

For genuinely forgetting, Licorice's annoyed gaze hurts.

For now, I awkwardly laugh to divert the attention.

"Jeez... Anyway, show me your hands."

"Like this?"

"Whoa. It's quite a clean cut... but well, I can fix this."

As Licorice waves her hand, a warm light envelops us. The wound seems to reverse in time, healing itself.

"Wow, amazing."

"Is this, by any chance, the power of fairies?"

"Well, something like that! It's a piece of cake for someone like me, hehe!"

"Thank you, Licorice."

The spilled blood doesn't return, but it's more than enough.

Just having the wound close is immensely grateful.

"Alright, can I continue exploring now? With this, the monster that was lurking here is finished, right? There won't be any other unexpected developments, right?"

"Don't worry, Fate. It's just that one reaper."

"That's a relief."

"By the way... We had quite a flashy battle, but is Licorice's precious stuff okay? Or is there a possibility it got ransacked by the reaper?"

"Well... I think it should be fine. But now that you mention it, I'm starting to get anxious. Let's check right away."

Licorice floats towards the door at the back of the room.

That must be the treasure trove.

Her precious things should be inside.

The key didn't seem to be used as the door was locked, but our opponent is a reaper. They might have slipped through the door and caused trouble.

"Open up."

Licorice's incantation seems to serve as the key, and the door responds to her voice, opening. Before the door is fully open, Licorice slips through the gap and enters the treasure trove.

We follow her and move into the treasure trove.

"Wow..."

I involuntarily utter such a voice; the room is filled with numerous treasures. Piles of gold coins, accessories adorned with many gemstones, small bottles with floating light orbs, aurora-like feathered garments... there are also items I've never seen before.

"This is amazing... to think there would be such treasures left."

Other adventurers, except for us, mistakenly considered the tenth floor as the bottom and turned back. The treasure trove was left untouched, and the treasures kept accumulating. That's how it ended up in this state.

Fairies love treasures, much like crows collecting shiny objects. They have a habit of gathering and storing things they like. All the treasures here are probably collected by Licorice.

"What are Licorice's precious belongings?"

...

No response.

Without answering, Licorice flies deeper into the treasure trove, seemingly indicating the answer.

Following her, we find ourselves surrounded by many treasures, and there's a simple grave.

It's a very small size.

Flowers are offered.

They seem to be special flowers, never withering or wilting, gently shining.

"That is..."

"It's my friend's grave."

"Is that so... that's what Licorice treasures."

"Exactly."

Licorice takes out flowers from somewhere and offers them to the grave. Then, she clasps her hands together and prays.

Sofia and I follow suit and offer our prayers.

Licorice's friend, whose name we don't know...

Please rest in peace.

"The majority of the treasures here were gathered by that kid."

"I see... I thought Licorice had collected them."

"I don't dislike treasures, but I don't like them that much. That kid collected them... but on the way, she failed, came back here covered in blood, and stayed like this."

...

"It's okay. I've already sorted out my feelings."

Licorice, saying so, indeed had a clear expression.

It's not a facade; there doesn't seem to be any particular issue.

"I was worried that the grave might have been desecrated... but it wasn't. And we managed to drive away the monsters safely. This is also thanks to you... no, Fate and Sofia. Thank you."

Licorice smiles brightly.

That smile shines like the sun.


TL Note: The author changed back to reaper but it's all the same and R.I.P for Licorice-chan's friend.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious