Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman


Chapter 55: First, let's accept the request.


{TL: By Creed}


Cliff says that some of the requests are issued by Doctor.

By cleverly utilizing these requests, one can enrich themselves.

For that reason, Doctor regularly issues requests.

Finding and completing those requests...

During the report, one can meet face to face with Doctor.

At that time, if one demonstrates competence, Doctor will likely reach out... so they say.

If one becomes favored, they can infiltrate his inner circle.

So, first, one must fulfill the requests issued by Doctor.

That's what I was told... 

"This... right?"
"This... yes."

Taking a certain request issuance document, I look at it with Sofia.

Both Sofia and I tilt our heads.

That's because the contents of the request aren't particularly difficult.

"The suppression of a thief gang using a dungeon near the town as their base."
"It's a thief gang I've never heard of, and it doesn't seem to be particularly difficult... Hm?"

How does this request connect to enriching oneself?

I don't quite understand.

"By eliminating the thief gang, one maintains their position...?"
"It's not impossible... but... it seems a bit small-scale for that, doesn't it? Those who aim for power and money tend to take bold actions."
"Is that based on Sofia's experience?"
"Yes."
"I see... but Cliff said it's Doctor's request, so I think it's accurate... hmm."
"Thieves, thieves, thieves... I see."

With a knowing look, Sofia nods.

"Indeed, this is a request to enrich oneself."
"And...?"
"When it comes to suppressing thieves, there will be stolen treasures, right?"
"That's right. Normally, they are returned to the guild and then some portion is returned to the victims. That's the usual flow, right?"
"That's it."

Sofia raises her index finger knowingly.

"Doctor wants to make the thief gang's treasures his own."
"Embezzlement?"
"Pretending to entrust it to the guild, he keeps it for himself. If it's a thief gang that has been active for a long time, they should have a decent amount of wealth. For Doctor, it's a perfect prey."
"It's... unforgivable, isn't it?"

Originally, it should be returned to the victims.

To make it one's own... 

"Fate. I think you understand, but don't accuse him now."
"Yeah, I know. Even if I do that, it'll just be a slap on the wrist, and someone else will be caught. I need to earn Doctor's trust and get more solid evidence."
"Yes, that's right."
"But..."

I clench my fist tightly.

"It's frustrating that I have to let Doctor's crime slide, even if it's temporary."
"Fate... it's okay."

"Wha-"

Suddenly, I'm embraced by Sofia.

It feels warm and sweet...

And soft...

My face instantly heats up.

"S-Sofia? What are you..."

"I think it's wonderful that you have such straightforward feelings."

She hugs me tightly.

"You can always keep that straightforward heart, Fate. So, it's okay."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. As someone who's known you since childhood and watched you more than anyone else, I guarantee it."

"...Yeah, thank you."

The feeling of frustration fades away.

Instead, I'm determined to make sure the request is successful and expose Doctor's wrongdoing.

"Well then, I'll go and take care of the procedure."

"Yes."

After that...

After formally accepting the request, we made some preparations and left the town behind.

Our destination was a dungeon located a day's walk from the town.

The objective was to eradicate the thief gang that made it their stronghold.

"...There it is."

About a day's walk from the town, there was the dungeon.

According to the preliminary information, it seemed to be a small one with three underground levels.

"There are two guards at the entrance... as expected."

"I sense something from deeper inside as well."

"Given that they're using a small dungeon as their stronghold, I didn't expect it to be this... unexpected."

About a dozen people... 

Or perhaps a large-scale gang of several dozen.

Sofia could probably handle them all, but...

Still, there's always the possibility of unexpected circumstances.

It could get chaotic in such a cramped space...

And the risk of accidents is high.

"Hmm, it would be preferable to proceed with caution, right?"

"If it's you, Fate, I believe you can handle them all."

"That's my line."

"You guys are having a really dangerous conversation..."

Licorice, who was flying behind us, grimaced.

"What should we do?"

"Hmm... lure out the guards, capture them alive. Interrogate them for information, then if everything seems fine, we'll charge in. If any tricky issues arise, we'll think about it then... how about that?"

"Not exactly a foolproof plan."

"For now, it's the best we can do."

"Then, let's go with that."

Throwing a stone to divert their attention, I approached while Sofia and I simultaneously jumped out of the bushes and struck with our swords.

The two guards each let out a groan and fell to the ground.

"Heh heh, swift takedown. That's because they dared to oppose me!"

"Licorice, you haven't done anything..."

"Fate and Sofia are my comrades. Their achievements are my achievements. That's what it means!"

Is it just me, or does that sound like an extreme argument...?

Switching gears, we tied up the guards, dragged them into the bushes, and prepared to interrogate them.

"Now then... let's proceed with the interrogation... huh?"

Suddenly, a sharp, piercing murderous intent struck me.

Reflexively turning around and raising my sword like a shield...

*Clang!*

As if it teleported, a wolf with twisted fangs was right in front of me.

TL Note: Fate had a close call. I came to know from reader Yuty that our c53 link on NU is dead , I have reported the problem along with the working link to NU. Hope the problem will get fixed soon readers can use the prev and next button to navigate until then.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious