Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 61: Captive...


{TL: By Creed}


If we defeat the boss, the rest isn't a big deal.

Working together with Licorice, I'll defeat the remaining ones...

And then, we'll capture them so they can't move.

It might be quicker to just kill them...

But if possible, I'd like to avoid killing.

I might be called naive, but thieves are still human beings.

Perhaps, there might be someone who can reform.

During combat and such, I won't hesitate when there's no choice...

But I don't want to go out of my way to kill helpless or surrendering opponents.

'Alright, is this everyone?'

Capture complete.

Since we can't take everyone with us, let's return to the guild first and request backup.

"Sofia, how about over there?"

"Um..."

When I shouted loudly, I received a bewildered response.

What's wrong?

I exchange glances with Licorice.

"Fate."

Before long, Sofia arrived.

"It seems to be settled over here. Dealing with this many people and resolving it without issue, as expected of Fate."

"It's thanks to Licorice helping."

"Hehe, that's right! Be grateful to the genius invincible beautiful fairy Licorice-chan!"

"It's thanks to Fate, right?"

"Eh?"

"It's thanks to Fate, right?"

"Uh, well..."

"It's thanks to Fate... right?"

"Yes."

Seemingly under immense pressure, Licorice trembled and nodded faintly.

I don't know what's going on, but I wish she'd stop intimidating Licorice she looked pitful.

"How about on Sofia's side? What about the captured people?"

"Basically, there are no problems. Some of them were injured, but not severely, so we managed with first aid. However..."

"However?"

"Could you come over here? There are some aspects I'm not sure how to handle..."

Sofia being at a loss for what to do... what could it be?

Nervously, I head towards the cells.

On the way, while being thanked by the rescued people, we proceed further in.

"Here are the cells."

There was a small cell at the very back.

The door had already been slashed, rendering it non-functional.

Sofia must have done it.

Not with a key, but by slicing through the door altogether, as expected.

There was a figure of a person in the corner of the cell.

Kneeling with their knees to their chest, curled up.

They look like a child at first glance.

"Who's this?"

"I don't know. I've tried calling out to them multiple times, but there's been no response... they're not unconscious or anything like that... I didn't know what to do, so I was at a loss."

"I see."

All the thieves have been captured.

The cells have been destroyed.

Though there shouldn't be anything to harm this child, for some reason, they still seem frightened.

"Wait... ah, I see."

From this child's perspective, they can't distinguish whether we're adventurers or thieves.

Even if we reassure them it's okay, they're in an environment where they can't believe that.

Because of that, they're still scared and curled up like this.

How can we prove to them that we're not enemies?

After thinking for a bit, I gently stroke the huddled child's head.

"It's okay."

"Ah...!"

"It's okay, we're not thieves. We've captured the thieves, and we've come to help you."

I spoke as gently as possible, conveying our intentions.

Perhaps those feelings got through, as the child slowly lifts their head in fear.

"Who are you...?"

It's a girl.

Not an ordinary child, she has dog ears.

Upon closer inspection, I could see a tail too.

She's a beastfolk.

A race with both human intelligence and beast strength, but their numbers are few.

The beastfolk have low fertility due to their long lifespan, making children even more rare. That's probably why she was targeted by thieves and ended up being captured.

"I'm Fate, and she's Sofia, and this is Licorice the fairy. And you?"

"...Aisha..."

"Ah, Aisha it is. That's a cute name."

Aisha seemed to relax her guard slightly as I smiled at her, but she still didn't completely believe my words.

Probably, she had been through a lot of terrible experiences before being captured like this. That's why she's become distrustful of humans...

Somehow, I could imagine Aisha's situation, and a sense of duty to help her no matter what welled up inside me.

"We came here to defeat the thieves who are here."

"Really?"

"Yeah, of course. I wouldn't lie."

Aisha looked at me with suspicion, but I pretended not to notice and continued to smile.

"Of course, we'll help you too, Aisha."

"Why? I'm just a stranger to you..."

"That's true... but... I can't see it as someone else's problem. Actually, I was in a similar situation in the past."

"Huh?"

"I was deceived by bad people and turned into a slave... well, now I'm free, but a lot happened. That's why I can't see your situation as someone else's."

Aisha's eyes gradually lost their doubt as she listened to my story, seeming to be more at ease.

"Are you really... going to help me?"

"Yeah."

"So... I won't have to suffer anymore...?"

"Of course not."

"Sniff..."

It seemed she relaxed. Tears welled up in Aisha's eyes, and...

"Wha...aaahhh!! Ugh... e-eek... aaaaaahhh!!!"

She clung to me and cried her heart out.

Right now, it's better for her to cry and let out all the dark emotions. And I just want her to feel a little relief. With that wish in mind, I held Aisha tightly, stroking her head gently.

TL Note: I feel pity for Aisha.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious