Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 62: Meeting with the Doctor


{TL: By Creed}


Successfully decimating the band of thieves and safely completing the rescue of the captured individuals, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the mission was accomplished perfectly.

However, this is not the end.

Rather, this is where the real challenge begins.

According to Cliff's account, Doctor will likely make contact to intercept the treasure hoarded by the band of thieves. First, we must accept the demands and win his favor.

Honestly, it feels unpleasant to lend a hand in such dishonesty, but as Cliff says, there's no other clever way, so we have to reluctantly agree.

However, a problem arises here.

That is...

"Fate, what about Aisha?"

After asking Licorice to seek support from the guild...

In the meantime, I discuss future plans with Sofia.

The issue at hand is how to handle Aisha.

To put it bluntly, Aisha is also a part of the treasure of the band of thieves. If Doctor sets his sights on her, she might end up imprisoned again.

"Of course, I'll help her. I won't hand her over."

Looking at Aisha sleeping in my arms.

Since she cried and fell asleep in my arms, I couldn't bring myself to wake her, so I just held her.

"Well, I agree with that. However, to do that, we need to ask other hostages to keep quiet. Whether everyone will cooperate... I wonder."

Sofia's concern is valid.

Even if we ask them to keep quiet, there might be people favorable to Doctor who could leak information about Aisha. Or, there might be slip-ups, revealing Aisha's situation inadvertently.

We can't absolutely keep Aisha's situation hidden.

It's better to assume that it will come out when the time comes.

And judging from Doctor's personality that we've heard from Cliff, he will almost certainly demand the surrender of Aisha.

"Even so, I won't hand Aisha over."

"In that case, the plan Cliff envisions will deviate, won't it? Furthermore, it will lead to confrontation with Doctor, and exposing his wrongdoing will become almost impossible."

"Even so..."

I absolutely cannot hand this child over to villains.

Considering the future, it might be better to treat Aisha as a minor issue and not worry about it.

Choosing the option that benefits more people without undue sympathy might be the right thing to do.

But I can't do that.

The present is more important than the future.

I want to protect this little girl sleeping in my arms.

Partly because she's in a situation similar to mine...

But more than that, I don't want to become a man who sacrifices a little girl to achieve his goals.

"Hehe."

"What's so funny, Sofia?"

"I'm relieved. That's the fate I love. I also agree not to hand over Aisha. As a result, even if it leads to a confrontation with Doctor, I will fully support Fate."

"Thank you, Sofia. I thought you would say that."

"Of course. Who do you think I am? Fate's childhood friend, and I pride myself on being his greatest understanding."

Saying that, Sofia smiles mischievously.


――――――――――

Asking the other hostages not to divulge information about Aisha...

I requested Sofia's help, and she took Aisha somewhere else to keep her hidden from Doctor.

At that moment, Licorice returned with the supporting adventurers.

The captured thieves were being led away...

The hostages were being rescued and taken to the city in carriages.

I remained at the hideout, giving a report on the situation.

And...

"Hello, are you the adventurers who completed this request?"

I met Doctor Brassband.

Considering the guild executives involved in dishonest deeds, I had imagined someone dressed luxuriously, but...

The reality was quite the opposite.

Was he in his thirties?

He wore glasses and had an intellectual face.

Though slim, his physique suggested he was well-trained even under his clothes.

"Yes, I'm Fate Stuart."

"I'm Doctor Brassband. I'm an executive of the Adventurer's Association and also the client for this request. Thank you for accepting and successfully completing the task. Thanks to you, we were able to eradicate yet another band of thieves causing suffering to people. This is truly something to be pleased about."

He wore a gentle smile, and he didn't look like a villain at all.

But I shouldn't let my guard down.

Considering how easily I was fooled by Sigurd and others, I should be cautious not to believe too readily.

I tightened my grip and shook hands as Doctor requested.

"If I've been of help, I'm glad. I can't forgive thieves either."

"You have a strong sense of justice. As expected from the partner of the Sword Saint."

"You know about us?"

"It may be presumptuous, but I did some research. Naturally, word about the partner of that Sword Saint tends to circulate."

It seems that being Sofia's partner is known to some extent among certain people.

Feeling acknowledged, even at a time like this, makes me oddly happy.

"Stuart, do you have time later? Since we have the chance, I'd like to have a conversation with you... Oh? Speaking of which, where is the Sword Saint?"

"As a precaution, she's on guard duty in the vicinity. Since reinforcements have arrived, she should be back soon."

"I see. A cautious attitude that never lets its guard down... It's admirable. I'd like to learn from that as well."

His smile seems genuinely heartfelt.

Hmm, is he really a villain?

"...Fate, Fate."

Licorice, who was lounging in the pouch, whispered to me discreetly.

"...What's wrong?"

"...Don't let your guard down. That guy's smile seems really fishy."

"...Is that so? I don't see it that way."

"...I can tell. He has two faces, and he uses them cleverly. He's a liar. Fate might be easily fooled because he's too nice, but the eyes of the genius little fairy strategist Licorice-chan can't be deceived."

Believing Licorice, who is my friend, or Doctor, whom I've just met?

The answer is obvious.

To avoid being deceived, I need to be careful.

Deciding so, I once again steeled myself.

"As we're just standing around here, would you like to be invited to my mansion? I'll have my subordinates on standby, and the Sword Saint can join us later."

"...Well, okay."

Perhaps his intention is to separate me and Sofia.

He probably thought I'd be easier to deal with alone.

And indeed, that seems to be the case, so I must be careful.

"Well then, shall we?"

With nerves on edge, Licorice and I decided to accept Doctor's invitation.


TL Note: Fate and Licorice enters enemy den.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious