Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 64 Full-time


(TL: By Creed}



Exclusive, they're adventurers who become exclusively hired by specific individuals.

Without the employer's permission, they become unable to accept other requests.

However, there are certainly benefits.

Even without requests, a specific contract fee is paid every month.

In addition to that, if requests arise from the employer, those fees will also be added.

Furthermore, depending on the employer, various forms of support are available, and insurance is provided...

Thinking normally, it's usually a favorable deal that most adventurers would jump at.

"Me, as Doctor-sama's exclusive...? This isn't a joke, right?"

"Of course not. I would like you to become my exclusive. And I hope to build a long-lasting relationship with you."

The Doctor says with a smile.

It's a gentle smile that doesn't seem to have any ulterior motives.

But, one cannot let their guard down.

They might be scheming something behind the scenes...

To avoid being deceived or trapped, one must pay attention.

"But, wouldn't it be better to rely on Sofia rather than me?"

"That's true. It's rude to Sir Stuart, but in terms of ability, she's overwhelmingly superior. However, despite having had many such offers in the past, Lord Ascart hasn't accepted a single one. Perhaps she has no interest in such things."

"So, why me?"

"Yes. Sir Stuart is still young. He also has talent. You could say this to be a form of anticipation for the future, an initial investment?"

"I see..."

"Becoming exclusive not only increases the reward but also allows you to receive various forms of support. Personally, I promise to provide maximum support. Supplies, knowledge, information... I promise to assist you in every way possible. How about it? I know it's a bit self-serving to say this, but I don't think it's a bad deal."

Listening to the Doctor's words, I grasp his approach to some extent.

He seems to treat the Adventurer's Association as a toy and enriches himself...

However, for those who become allies, he offers sweet honey.

By doing so, he forms a deeper relationship and prevents defection.

Furthermore, by giving candy instead of a whip, he instills a sense of being accomplices rather than victims, thus preventing betrayal.

That's probably his strategy.

He's quite the strategist.

In that case, the choice I should make here is...

"...I'm sorry."

I bow my head.

"I think it's a very attractive offer, but since my partner is Sofia, I can't decide on my own... Could I have some time to think? I want to discuss it with Sofia... and also with Licorice and everyone together."

"I see... That makes sense. Discussion is necessary indeed. I'm sorry, I seemed to have been in a hurry."

"No, I'm really grateful for your high regard for me. If it were just me, I would have accepted without hesitation."

Not only slipping into Doctor's pocket but also gaining trust would be better.

So, I can't just jump at a good deal immediately.

It might make me appear easy to handle and be underestimated as a pawn.

Instead, it's better to stall for time.

Then, if I agree to the contract, he will need us even more.

"...Fate. Where did you learn such negotiations?"

"When you're in trouble, this is what you should do. Sofia taught me that in advance."

"That child foresaw this happening... How terrifying."

Certainly, if she had anticipated this development, her wisdom would be terrifying.

But I'm very proud.

I want to boast to everyone around me that my childhood friend is amazing.

Well, it doesn't really matter what I think.

"Then, may I further extend my hospitality?"

"Huh? But..."

"I've been quite troubled by that thief... and both Sir Stuart and Lady Sword Saint are equivalent to heroes for me for subduing it. It's ridiculous to not return the favor. Of course, I also intend to invite Lady Sword Saint to my home as soon as her business is done."

"Um..."

This is probably...

He wants to keep me and Sofia close.

Not only that, but he probably doesn't want any unnecessary interference when confiscating the treasures hoarded by the thieves.

Since we're involved parties, he asks us to come in his place.

"...What will you do, Fate?"

Licorice asks quietly as well.

As it is now, Doctor will confiscate the thieves' treasure.

Normally, we wouldn't be able to overlook it...

But, Cliff has asked me to ingratiate myself with Doctor.

Without gaining his trust, I won't be able to obtain evidence of his wrongdoing.

That's what I think too.

So, although it's frustrating, for now, let's pretend not to notice anything.

I'm worried about Aisha...

But Sofia should be able to handle it well.

"When will the Sword Saint return?"

"I'm not sure about that... I only heard that she had some minor business to attend to... But, I think she'll be back by the end of today."

"I see. Then, let's make sure we're prepared to respond whenever she returns."

And so, I ended up staying at Doctor's mansion.

I wonder if I've gained a bit of trust?

Or maybe, I'm seen as an easily manipulated pawn...

But, that's convenient because it makes it easier to move.

Let's show that it doesn't end as just being a pawn in the end.


――――――――――

Night.

A banquet was held.

The spacious garden served as the venue.

Dishes and drinks were laid out here and there, and the people Doctor had invited were chatting with smiles on their faces.

"Sigh."

I sat on a chair for a break and let out a sigh.

I greeted various people and engaged in small talk...

To be honest, I felt a bit tired.

It wasn't a physical issue but a mental one.

Conversations where I had to gauge the other person's mood... it's not really my forte. Probably, Sofia would handle that part smoothly.

But Sofia hadn't returned yet.

I don't think Sofia would need any unnecessary worry, but...

Hmm, I'm starting to get a little worried.

"Hey, don't make such a gloomy face, munch munch, just enjoy the food, okay?"

Licorice, who was sitting on top of my head, was eating the food brought from all over.

Please spare me from the crumbs falling on me.

"I wonder what's up with Sofia?"

"She'll be fine. That girl is not only strong but also smarter and more cunning than Fate thinks. You don't have to worry."

"Still, I can't help but worry."

Because she's an important childhood friend, even if I'm told not to worry, it's impossible.

"Hmm."

As I pondered,

"Hey there."

When I turned around,  I was suddenly approached by a burly man who resembled a bear 


TL Note: Bear enters the chat.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious