Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter  65 Duel at the banquet


{TL: By Creed}


"Are you the adventurer who defeated the thieves' guild?"

"Oh, yes. That's right, but who are you?"

"I'm Zeros, a fellow adventurer."

"I'm Fate Stuart. Nice to meet you."

I stood up and bowed my head slightly, but Zeros wasn't looking at me anymore. He was scanning the garden of the party venue.

"You're a friend of the Sword Saint, right? Where's the Sword Saint?"

"Um... If you mean Sofia, she's got some business to attend to and hasn't returned yet."

"Tch, bad timing."

It felt uncomfortable, to say the least. He had the same aura as Sigurd.

"Are you here for Sofia?"

"I'm here as Brassband-sama's exclusive. I've heard the Sword Saint has been invited to serve exclusively as well."

"Well..."

I've been invited too, but... I felt it was better not to mention it and kept quiet.

"Still, the Sword Saint is just a woman, right? She probably earned her title by using her body, not her strength."

"..."

"A woman like that becoming exclusive is ridiculous. I can't stand incompetence meddling. So, I thought I'd teach her a little lesson."

"...Maybe there was no need for that. She probably heard I was here and got scared, so she ran away. Haha. A mere woman couldn't handle being exclusive."

"Retract that."

"Woah, Fate...?"

I glared at the man who had been speaking so casually.

Seeing me like that, Licorice let out a panicked voice.

"Huh?"

"Retract every word you just said, from beginning to end."

"What? Are you picking a fight with me?"

"You're the one picking a fight, not me. Not with me, but with Sofia... I can't overlook that insult. Retract everything."

"Huh. What's wrong with stating the facts?"

"Just retract it, okay?"

"Of course I won't. I'm not wrong. If you really want me to retract it..."

The man drew his sword.

"Let's settle this with a duel."

The man grinned.

It was a sudden act of violence, but there were no screams from the surroundings. Instead, there were cheers like, "Go for it!" "Show us the power of exclusivity!"

Apparently, this was a common occurrence.

The man was rough, violent, thoughtless, and lacked manners, which is why he repeated such acts over and over again.

"Hey, Fate!"

"What? Are you going to stop me?"

"No, not at all, quite the opposite. I also really like Sofia. That's why... go crazy and beat him to a pulp!"

"Got it!"

The part about going crazy and beating him to a pulp was a bit unclear, but... the anger at Sofia being insulted was mutual. Licorice and I were burning with anger.

"I'll give you credit for having some guts, but well, that alone won't do you any good. I'll teach you that there are things you can't solve with just that. Come."

Following the man, we arrived at a dueling arena surrounded by party attendees.

Seeing this prepared arena, it seemed like these duels were held regularly.

Perhaps even the party attendees were looking forward to this duel.

"First, I'll show you my power. Take this!"

The man who stepped onto the dueling arena first smashed a fist-sized rock with his bare hands. The party attendees cheered, and even Licorice above me felt uneasy.

"Wow, that guy's incredibly strong. I wonder if he has any technique, though. His physical abilities are quite something."

"Huh?"

"Huh?"

We both muttered dumbfoundedly.

"What's with that reaction? I'm just guessing, but... Fate, can you do that?"

"Yeah. It's something like this... See?"

When I smashed the rock with my bare hands, the attendees at the party murmured in surprise.

The man was dumbfounded.

"I've trained with Sofia, you know. I have some confidence in my strength, thanks to her teachings."

"That's not it! Training wouldn't have led to such a sudden increase in strength! And 'some confidence'? That's an understatement!"

"Thanks to Sofia."

"That's definitely not it!"

"Heh, hehe... Seems like you're somewhat capable."

The man chuckled nervously, sweat dripping down his face.

"Then how about this? Hah!"

With a powerful leap, the man jumped vertically, almost reaching the second floor of the mansion.

However...

"If that's all, then I'll..."

I leaped beyond the mansion's peak, surpassing even the third floor.

"Wha—!?"

Licorice screamed above me.

Oops, I had forgotten about her.

"Sorry. Are you okay?"

"I-I'm f-fine... just a bit dizzy."

"You don't seem fine at all, do you? I'm really sorry. I thought I was holding back..."

"H-Holding back and jumping that high...?"

"Well, yeah?"

"I... I forgot for a moment, but Fate, you're just as strange as Sofia. Actually, maybe even more so? Yeah. I've come to realize that again."

"Thanks?"

Wait, was I just praised?

"Ugh... you're... quite something. But, the outcome of a battle isn't determined solely by physical abilities. Combat skills are important. Let me teach you that."

"I agree with that opinion, but didn't you just show off your strength earlier?"

"Ugh..."

The man turned red and stumbled over his words...

And then, the party attendees chuckled, seeming to agree.

The man blushed like a ripe apple.

Drawing his sword, he pointed it towards me.

"Come on! I'll show you who's superior right now!!!"

"Is that so... but are you going to use real swords?"

"Hey, are you chickening out now? It's too late to back down."

"I'm not saying that... well, whatever. I'll just use my sword sheathed."

"What... are you implying that you'll go easy on me?"

"Huh? No, that's not what I meant..."

"If that's not what you meant, then what do you mean? Your actions seem to align with what he's saying, Fate. Well, it's more entertaining that way, so it's fine."

Licorice said that above me.

As for me, I thought my sword was so sharp that it would be better to keep it sheathed...

Oh well.

Whether this person gets angry or not, there's only one thing I need to do.

"You're going to regret insulting Sofia, okay?"


TL Note: Let the duel with the bear begin.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious