"...Is that your reason for betraying us?"
A raspy voice suddenly echoed through the air.
An old man stepped out from behind one of the gravestones.
Sofia recognized him immediately.
She had seen him several times at the scenes of past incidents.
One of the executives of the Dawn Alliance.
Riken.
"Hey there, Riken."
Riken wore a grim expression, but in complete contrast, Rena greeted him with a bright smile.
She spoke to him as casually as if they were old acquaintances.
"Fancy running into you here. What a coincidence, huh?"
"Coincidence? Don't be absurd. You anticipated something like this would happen, didn't you?"
"Well, yeah. If we're heading for the headquarters, I figured there was a good chance we'd run into someone important... or maybe even one of the executives."
A sly grin spread across Rena's face.
"But since you're here, Riken, I guess that means we picked the right place. The cemetery really is your headquarters."
Riken's face twisted bitterly.
His expression alone confirmed Rena's deduction.
Ordinarily, he should never have shown himself...
But someone like Rena, who already knew about the underground facility, would have found the entrance sooner or later.
And once she did, she'd inevitably discover that the cemetery was their headquarters.
Whether she found out now or later made little difference.
So Riken had chosen to reveal himself first.
"To betray us... to betray the Dawn Alliance over such a trivial sentiment..."
"Hmm... I'd rather you didn't call it trivial. I actually gave this a lot of serious thought, you know?"
"That is precisely what makes it trivial."
Riken drew his sword.
Its blade was pitch black, wrapped in a sinister aura.
A demonic sword.
And not some cheaply made imitation, either.
It had been forged over many days using countless human sacrifices.
A weapon equal in quality to Tyrfing, the sword Rena wielded.
"Everything was stolen from us in the past. That is why we have the right to take everything away from those living in the present. We have earned that right. It is only natural that we do so."
"...I can't say I don't understand."
Rena let out a wry smile.
"I used to believe that way of thinking was right. I truly sympathized with it from the bottom of my heart. But..."
She gently placed a hand over her chest.
As if confirming the feelings that rested within, she smiled softly.
"But revenge alone isn't enough. We kept thinking only about vengeance, convincing ourselves we were justified... when in reality, we were simply repeating with our own hands the very things that had once been done to us. Someone made me realize that."
"...That brat."
"We have to change. If we're forever chained to the past, can we really say we're living? We need to look ahead... toward the future."
Adding, "Though I guess I'm not exactly the best person to say that," Rena made one last attempt to persuade Riken.
But Riken's expression never changed.
Her words failed to reach him.
"...How disappointing."
"Hm?"
"I held you in high regard... yet to think you've become this spineless."
A murderous aura burst from Riken's body.
It was so overwhelming it seemed to possess physical weight, causing the surrounding trees and grass to tremble.
The air vibrated violently, sending the nearby small animals fleeing in panic.
"As a final act of mercy, I shall be the one to bring your end."
"Hmm... That would be a bit of a problem."
Rena maintained her carefree demeanor...
Though she briefly glanced toward Sofia and Erin.
That alone was enough for the two of them to understand her intentions, and they gave subtle nods.
After confirming that, Rena also drew her sword.
"Well then... if that's how it's going to be, shall we?"
"Good. At least you accept your fate."
"But there are three of us, you know? You really think you can win?"
"Do not presume you've seen everything I am capable of. I shall show you my true power."
"I'm looking forward to it."
Rena smiled brightly.
"Here we go!"
Without warning, she plunged her sword into the ground.
"Hidden Technique One—Lion's Battle Roar!"
"What!?"
She compressed her power to its absolute limit into a single point before unleashing it to cleave through everything.
It was a technique similar to the Divine Dragon King's Sword Art: Mountain Cleaver, except she directed it into the ground.
The result—
BOOM!
A deafening explosion erupted, and a massive cloud of dust shot into the air.
"Now! We're getting out of here!"
"Yes!"
"Right!"
"You wretches!?"
"As long as we've pinpointed where your headquarters are, that's all we needed! Ahahaha!"
Laughing like a mischievous little devil, Rena turned and fled the scene with the others.

Comments
Post a Comment