Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 45: Operation begins


{TL: By Creed}


Early the next morning.

As the sun rose, the operation began.

Whether they were monsters or not, most creatures generally slept at night. However, when Stampede occurred, almost all creatures entered an excited state, causing chaos day and night. Therefore, a surprise attack based on the time of day was meaningless.

Without considering a surprise attack, they chose a time when they could fight in optimal conditions. Hence, early morning. With the sun at their backs for the battle...

"Ha, ha, ha...!"

I ran through the forest.

Currently, the town was under siege by a large number of monsters, facing its greatest crisis. But I wasn't worried.

Sofia was there.

The invincible Sword Saint was there.

There was no way that any monster could harm the town by breaking through her defense. I could trust her without worry.

So...

I had to fulfill my role properly.

"There, to the right! After that, go straight for about five minutes, then turn left!"

"Understood!"

Guided by Licorice, who was perched on my shoulder, I advanced through the forest. According to her, deep inside was the queen, the root cause of the Stampede.

Defeat the queen while everyone else holds their ground.

Failure was not an option.

I would make sure to succeed!

"Finally, there, go straight for about five hundred meters, and the queen's reaction should be there. There shouldn't be any other monsters, so run straight through."

"Okay!"

"And don't get too worked up."

"Huh?"

"You're really tense and nervous, aren't you? You're probably thinking about what will happen if you fail, right?"

"Well..."

"Stop that, stop thinking about those gloomy thoughts. Even if you fail, so what? You have to take it easy. Otherwise, you'll make a mistake in a critical moment."

"..."

It felt like scales fell from my eyes.

I thought that, given the significant task I was entrusted with, I needed to have a corresponding sense of responsibility. But for Licorice, such things were unnecessary. Instead, she emphasized going without anxiety.

"Yeah, thanks."

"Hehe, you've got a good look on your face now."

Thanks to Licorice, the tension lifted. With this, it seemed like I could handle things well.

Three hundred meters left.

With determined steps, I raced forward.



――――――――――


The core monster behind the Stampede is called the queen, but it doesn't engage in activities like laying eggs.

It accidentally ingested a mineral containing magical power.

Survived a harsh competition for survival.

Gained power through the intervention of others.

...and so on.

A monster that gains power due to special factors is referred to as the queen.

The queen possesses intense magical power and fighting spirit that other monsters don't have...

She attracts monsters drawn to her power and dominates them with overwhelming charisma.

Standing at the pinnacle of monsters.

Therefore, the queen.

According to the reports from the investigative team, the queen responsible for the current Stampede is a creature called Rafflesia.

I've never seen it, but I have knowledge.

It's a plant-type monster with numerous vines growing on a giant flower.

Its power is overwhelming.

Classified as an S-rank monster, it masters the use of poison, and many adventurers have fallen victim to it.

"It's around here."

Guided by Licorice, we entered a clearing in the middle of the forest.

The monster's form wasn't visible, but...

"Yeah, she's definitely here."

The air was filled with the monster's miasma.

The dense miasma was so thick that even a moment of distraction could lead to fainting, and staying for a long time might result in illness or physical deterioration.

"Where could she be? The reaction is undoubtedly coming from here."

"Um... is she hiding? Waiting for an opportunity?"

"Even though she's the queen, she seems quite cautious."

"Perhaps precisely because she's the queen, she's being careful."

The queen is not only powerful but also intelligent.

To survive, she takes actions that ordinary monsters would never consider, like setting traps or taking hostages.

This time, there might be some kind of trap.

...

The tension naturally increased.

The air became taut.

I drew the sword made of snow crystals, ready to move at any moment.

"Licorice, don't ever leave my side."

"It's okay. I'm securely tied with a string to make sure I don't fall."

Is that really okay...?

Being sandwiched between me and the monster, there might be moments when she gets crushed.

But flying monsters exist, and the sky is not a completely safe zone.

Considering that, maybe being by my side is the safest after all?

But...

I can't help but feel grateful to Licorice, who followed me even if it meant risking danger to support me.

Once we resolve the Stampede, I'll treat her to something delicious.

I'm sure fairies love honey. I'll search for honey that has this sweet scent...

"Wait, a sweet scent?"

Unnoticed, a strong sweet fragrance wafted in the surroundings.

Startled by the suddenness, I remained on high alert.

And then...

"Wha-!?"

The ground exploded, and from there, a gigantic monster revealed itself.

Although it resembled Rafflesia, it was a different monster.


TL Note: I have seen Rafflesia in real life (could be it's relative too) it wasn't exactly pretty.





Comments

  1. Oof, that thing looks like something you can use for ecchi scenes or even hentai, lmao.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious