Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman

 
Chapter 106: Test of Strength, Part 2


{TL: By Creed}


Engaging in a test of strength, we clash our swords in a fierce struggle.

Gripping my sword's hilt firmly with both hands, I step forward with my right foot and push with all my might. Sofia had told me that I possessed the physical abilities of an S-rank. If that’s the case, a bit of brute force shouldn’t be a problem.

However, Axel isn't giving in easily. He counters my strength with technique, skillfully deflecting my force.

I feel no resistance. It’s as if my sword slips through the air effortlessly.

Not missing this opening, Axel strikes. But I see it coming. I raise my wooden sword horizontally, using it as a shield.

After blocking Axel's strike, I attempt a sweeping kick. He’s not easily toppled, but it forces him to retreat momentarily.

"Is that all you've got, kid? Relying on brute strength without technique is a disgrace to any swordsman! I don't know who taught you, but both you and your master are hopeless!"

Edward sees through my shortcomings and says this, but…

"…Father. I taught Fate how to wield a sword. So, are you saying I’m hopeless? Am I a hopeless daughter?"

"Huh?"

It was Sofia who taught me how to use a sword, so naturally, she becomes incredibly angry…more like radiating murderous intent.

"Edward, my sword master is Sofia, but I’m still in training. If you're going to blame someone, blame only me."

"U-uhm…"

Edward, drenched in sweat, seems to be overwhelmed by Sofia's killing intent. Not to mention, Emilia also seems to be directing some hostility towards him. It’s like they’re silently threatening him, saying, "Say something foolish and we’ll kill you." Poor guy.

"Where are you looking!"

"I'm not off guard, don't worry!"

Axel strikes again, but I block it firmly.

I can’t afford to be careless. My future with Sofia depends on this.

"Tch, you're good. Your sword skills are still lacking, but your physical abilities are insanely high."

"Thanks. Your swordsmanship is impressive too, Axel."

"Well, yeah. I've been training at the dojo for years. I can’t lose to an amateur."

"Did I mention I’ve only been holding a sword for a short time?"

"You can tell when you cross swords with someone. The way they wield their sword shows their character."

"I see."

Even in the midst of the match…

Talking with Axel like this is enjoyable.

Come to think of it, I’ve never had a friend my age. Axel would be a perfect friend. I wonder if he’ll be my friend after this match?

"Alright, let's do our best."

First, I have to win.

"Haa!"

"Uraa!"

We shout our battle cries and clash our swords repeatedly, exchanging blows over and over.

I excel in strength. Axel excels in technique. It’s a balanced fight with no clear winner in sight.

He's a tough opponent. If this had been right after I met Sofia, I would have likely lost quickly.

But now, I take pride in having survived several tough battles. This has made me grow stronger.

"Divine King Dragon Swordsmanship…"

I step back and raise my sword above my head.

This will decide the match. I grip the sword's hilt tightly with determination and focus.

Seeing this, Axel grins.

"Nice… yeah, you're a real challenge. It's a shame to crush you here, but as a swordsman, I can’t afford to lose either!"

Axel also raised his sword above his head.

It seemed he, too, intended to end the match with this.

Just as I expected.

"First Strike..."

A strange sense of mutual understanding, as if only between men. We both smiled slightly,

"Mountain Breaker!!!"

Simultaneously, we unleashed our ultimate techniques.

Our massive strikes collided head-on.

Bang!!!

Being mere wooden swords, they couldn't withstand the force of our techniques and broke in half.

Axel clicked his tongue in frustration...

Meanwhile, I took another step forward.

"What!?"

I had anticipated this outcome if our techniques clashed. So, without hesitation, I moved immediately.

I slipped into Axel's guard and delivered an elbow strike. As his body staggered, I thrust the broken wooden sword before his eyes.

"The match is over... right?"

TL Note: Sofia 1 : Edward 0



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious