Skip to main content

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman


Chapter 124: Power is everything

{TL: By Creed}


"Why would you do something like this!?"

I wasn't sure if I would get an answer, but I couldn't help but ask.

We adventurers exist for the sake of others. Our power is not meant to be used for ourselves but to help those in need.

And yet, becoming a murderer...

"...I am strong."

To my surprise, there was a reply. He spoke quietly, his voice slightly hoarse.

"I've gained power."

"Power...?"

"Everything must kneel before me... Yes, that's how it must be. So, those who do not obey must be cut down... Yes, they must be cut down. I can never lose to that man again. I can never bow to anyone again."

Though he kept muttering words, I couldn't understand what he meant.

What is this man trying to say?

Suddenly, the conversation shifted, and his words became disjointed...

It made no sense. I hate to say this, but is he sane?

"That man... I will cut down Edward!"

"What did you say?"

Edward? Is he connected to Edward somehow? If so, then...

I looked into his eyes.

His eyes were clouded, like the sludge at the bottom of a river. Just looking at them gave me the eerie sensation that I might get sucked in.

"Who are you...?"

"Yes... I must become the victor. I have to."

"Ah...!? That sword... could it be...?!"

It was my first time seeing the man's sword, but it looked familiar.

A contradictory thought crossed my mind.

The pitch-black blade was slightly curved. A red gemstone was embedded in it, shining like blood.

A feeling of unease stirred within me.

An instinctive aversion.

There's no doubt about it.

This is... a cursed sword.

"Where did you get that sword...?"

"Ugh..."

"Could it be that your strange behavior is because of that cursed sword? Cursed swords drive people mad... But, Doctor..."

No, wait.

The Doctor seemed sane at first glance, but...

His actions were nothing short of madness.

Could it be that the Doctor was also driven mad by a cursed sword?

"You are interfering with my justice, aren't you? Then you must be punished. Yes, this is for the sake of the world."

"Drop that sword! That sword... it's dangerous!!!"

I can't just leave him like this. It would be disastrous for him and for everyone else.

I felt a sense of impending doom, alarms going off in my head.

Driven by that instinct, I stepped forward.

"Haah!!!"

I aimed a powerful overhead strike.

But despite my efforts, he skillfully blocked my attack.

I followed up with several more strikes, but he deflected every single one.

Judging by his condition, it's hard to tell if he still has his own will. However, his skills were deeply ingrained in his body; his swordsmanship showed no signs of deterioration. In fact, he seemed even stronger now that he had acquired the cursed sword.

"Now, die!"

The man's counterattack.

He found the slightest opening in my barrage of strikes and closed in, aiming to thrust his sword into my chest.

He's fast!

His attack was like a gust of wind. I twisted my body, barely managing to evade it.

But his assault didn't stop. As if it was now his turn, he continued to swing his sword relentlessly.

From right to left. He then leaped diagonally downward and followed with an upward slash.

His swordsmanship was unpredictable, almost fluid in its form. It wasn't just his incredible speed—his movements were tricky, making it all I could do to avoid them.

"Die! Die! Die!"

"Alright, I'll die... Just kidding! Like I'd say that!"

"Then... die!"

"Ugh, this conversation isn't going anywhere!"

There's no reasoning with him.

I either have to defeat him... or kill him. Those are the only two options.

If possible, I'd prefer the former... but I don't know if I have the luxury to do so.

"Calm down, stay calm," I told myself.

I took a step back, creating some distance, and took a deep breath. I recalled my training with Sofia.

The enemy is strong. Incredibly strong, and on top of that, he's wielding a cursed sword. This situation is beyond anything I anticipated.

But...

I'm not afraid. Compared to this, Sofia is scarier. The training sessions with her were far more terrifying.

"...Alright."

I managed to calm my mind. Now, I should be able to handle this, at least to some extent.

"Divine Dragon King's Sword Style: First Strike..."

The man charged at me. His speed was so overwhelming that he was in front of me in an instant.

But...

I'm faster!

"Mountain Breaker!!!"

With all my strength, I unleashed a strike. A colossal slash that felt as if it could split a mountain in two.

At this point, I couldn't afford to worry about whether the man would survive. While I still wished I could, there was no room for hesitation.

But I'm outmatched here. There's no room for holding back, and if I did, I'd be taken down immediately.

Sofia is waiting for me. Aisha is waiting for me. Licorice is waiting for me. To avoid causing sadness to those who are waiting for me, I have no choice but to prioritize my own survival!

TL Note: Will Fate survive? ofc he will, but will he survive on his own?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

Chapter 1: The reality that I longed for is harsh and painful {TL: By Creed} "Hey, don't stroll around leisurely, you Useless man!" Insults were flying, and the target was me. "I-I'm... sorry..." My reply came out in gasps, as it should. After all, I was carrying a load that was tens of kilos heavier than my own body. In such a state, I had been walking through the dungeon for hours without a break. It was non-stop. It was only natural that I was out of breath, my clothes drenched in sweat, as if I had been doused in water. I wondered if I was experiencing dehydration; my legs were wobbly, and I felt like I might collapse if I let my guard down. "Hurry up, you slacker! You're practically useless except for carrying stuff," Sigurd, the leader of the A-rank party 'Flarebird,' berated me. He held the title of 'Swordmaster' and was the party's main attacker, constantly in action. "Sigurd, you're such a brute. Fate is so

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 2 childhood friend {TL: By Creed} That was ten years ago. I had a childhood friend who was the same age as me. Her name was Sofia Ascarth. Sofia and I played together every day, and we were so close that we were always together. Every day was so much fun... Filled with smiles. I believed that this happiness would last forever back then, but... Our parting came suddenly. ―――――――――― "I'm sorry... I can't meet Fate anymore." When I tried to play as usual, Sofia had a look on the verge of tears. Did she have a fight with her parents? When I asked what was going on, that was the answer. "Huh? W-what do you mean? You can't meet me anymore..." "Due to my dad's job, we're moving to the capital. So... today will be the last time I can play with Fate." "That's... " It felt like the ground beneath me crumbled and I was falling... Such a terrible shock. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

My childhood friend, who I promised to marry in the future, came back as a swordsman.

  Chapter 4 Party formation {TL: By Creed} After that, we changed locations and moved to a different inn and restaurant. Since Sigurd and the others stayed behind, I'm not sure what happened to them, but... It seems like Sigurd took an incredibly powerful blow, so he probably won't wake up for a while. "Sister, I'll have orange juice and a parfait." "..." "What about Fate?" "..." "Fate, what's wrong?" "Huh!?" When asked the question, I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um, yeah. Sorry... um, I'll have coffee, please." "Okay. Orange juice and coffee. And a parfait, right? Please wait a moment." The waitress nodded and left. Alone again, I looked at Sofia once more. "It's been a while, Fate." "...Is it really you, Sofia?" "Yes, it's me. Or does Fate see someone else when Fate looks at me?" "No, it's not like that. I would never mistake my precious